Thursday, March 24, 2011

A Poem about the Desert by my Dad

The Great Utah Desert


I feel a true kinship and harmony with life out there. Sand and sun sagebrush and wind – you

merge into them, and become as meaningless and as full of meaning as they are. There is always the

monotone of the dry desert breeze – a background for silence and you know that you are alone.

You can walk for miles and meet only sage brush and dunes – piles of drifting sand in their yellow

robes with paws deep in the alkaline ground.

My nature merged in nature brings a sence of happiness and joy to my being; a mere grain of sand in an

eternal universe, yet , in my mind I’m not really alone; I have my thoughts and feelings. Wandering

thoughts soaring through my mind of younger years when the world was full of magic and awe,

feelings like wondering and pondering as a carefree boy catching horned toads and feeling as one

with them in nature.

The thrill of seeing aged wagon tracks in the hardened desert crust made by travelers of yore when life

and death were ever present lingers in my mind; the adventure, no the sadness they bring of it all.

Each minute, hour and day was a matter of survival and concern over what the morrow would bring.

The great arid desert energizes my soul with a calming thankful feeling and an appreciation for those

who covered this same sacred ground under very different circumstances.

Rod Chapman



The words of this poem pulse through my own veins.

I read it and feel the imagery. Brad


No comments:

Post a Comment